[Nottingham] accessing pci bus with kde and mepis

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 23:17:11 GMT 2004

On Sunday 22 Feb 2004 11:41, Sarah Swindell wrote:
> Cheers for the help with this - I believe I can now access the soundcard
> and modem as user as well as root.
> The modem is 'ready' when I try and dial out (it was not ready or busy
> before) with KPPP, but takes a long time (forever?) to initialise.
> From looking on Linuxquestions.org (newbie page), I've got the idea it's
> because I've got an onboard LAN card (disabled through the BIOS) and this
> is confusing KPPP. I might well be wrong.

I havn't used kppp for a while, but I remember it did have trouble with a
ethernet card defined. The earlier versions, say KDE1.0 were O/K, but KDE2.x
had trouble.

To prove whether it's KDE hanging try an alternative dialler such as the
command line wvdial, or minicom. Wvdial is easy to set up and minicom has
it's own help 'pages' built in.

> any ideas how to encourage KPPP into initialising the modem (it's an
> internal Rockwell HCF 56K data fax RTAD modem - I've matched the setup
> details that win98 has given me about the modem to put into KPPP)
>
> ls -l /dev|grep modem     gives me:
> lrwxrwxrwx l root root 9 2004-0221 05.24 modem -> /dev/tty0

Are you sure that this is correct?

I think it should be

	modem-> /dev/ttyS0 (or up to ttyS3, equating to Com1 -> Com4)

		Derek Huskisson