[Nottingham] accessing pci bus with kde and mepis

Sarah Swindell windyswindy at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:41:21 GMT 2004

Cheers for the help with this - I believe I can now access the soundcard and
modem as user as well as root.
The modem is 'ready' when I try and dial out (it was not ready or busy
before) with KPPP, but takes a long time (forever?) to initialise.
>From looking on Linuxquestions.org (newbie page), I've got the idea it's
because I've got an onboard LAN card (disabled through the BIOS) and this is
confusing KPPP. I might well be wrong.

any ideas how to encourage KPPP into initialising the modem (it's an
internal Rockwell HCF 56K data fax RTAD modem - I've matched the setup
details that win98 has given me about the modem to put into KPPP)

ls -l /dev|grep modem     gives me:
lrwxrwxrwx l root root 9 2004-0221 05.24 modem -> /dev/tty0

Cheers
Sarah
(surely I'm not the only woman on NLUG's mailing list?)