[Nottingham] Rename volume label

Robert Ross rross at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 13:06:55 GMT 2004

-----Original Message-----

>You don't need to use labels in fstab.  You can just use the device names.

>i.e.

>instead of:
>LABEL=/usr   /usr   ext3    defaults  0 0

>use:
>/dev/hda3    /usr   ext3    defaults  0 0

>When the kernel has finished booting, it'll look at /etc/fstab for
>information on file systems to mount.  If it sees 'LABEL=/usr', it'll look
>for a partition with that label and barf if it doesn't see one.  If you
>specify the device '/dev/hda3', it won't even bother looking at the label.

>If you like, post your current fstab and I'll highlight the changes
>required...

Hi Dan,

Tried and failed with the above so here is my current fstab:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0
0

I am using RH8 on a PIII with a 10gig HD.

I hope I am also using e2label correctly.  I am using the line:

# E2label /dev/hda2 usr1

As I receive no error messages I belive it is making the required change.

Any help appreciated,

Robb