[Nottingham] Shared filesystem

Jim Driscoll j at rjimlad.org
Wed Jan 28 20:25:02 GMT 2004

On 28 Jan 2004, at 20:16, Joe Wrigley wrote:

> Scenario:
>
> I have a dual boot laptop with Windows XP and Gentoo Linux. I have a
> partition I want to use for data which I have been using to share data
> between the two OSs. I would like to be able to mount the partition on
> /home with useful permissions. A FAT derivative doesn't really fit the
> bill, and ext* isn't supported in any low-level way in windows
> (explore2fs can be useful, but I want something that works in a more
> "native" way). Is there any file system that can be used by both OSs,
> more useful than FAT?

I seem to recall (from some time ago, so this may well not be current)
that there's a filesystem called UMSDOS that runs on top of FAT, and
provides proper permissions and such. However, IIIRC it's extremely
slow, and so not really viable for intensive disc usage. Other than
that, the only filesystem I can think of that both would support would
be NTFS, but I'm not sure that linux support for NTFS is very mature
yet.

> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Jim