[Nottingham] Konqueror Audio CD Browser spinning and crazy modprobes

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 09:18:04 BST 2004

On Monday 05 Jul 2004 13:02, you wrote:
> discovered another modules config mystery which might be the culprit:
> in /etc/modules I find the lines...
>         ide-cd
>         ide-detect
> Does this look right or is this more likely to be cruft from the Debian
> installer?
>
> Regards,
> Michael.
 Hello Michael
		The "ide-cd" looks OK, it's used for IDE CD drives of course. I havn't got
it on my system in "/etc/modules" but it appears  when I do a "lsmod".

   I think this is because I'm running a 2.6 kernel which is compiled to load
modules ending in "*.ko" . If I look in

"/lib/modules/2.6.7/kernel/drivers/ide"

 the module "ide-cd.ko" is there and so it's not required in the /etc/modules
stuff. Modules using "*.o" as a suffix need to be put into /etc/modules etc
(I think).

I don't know about the "ide-detect" entry though.

							Derek