Ad blocking (Was: Re: [Nottingham] Proxy Default)

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 11:23:15 BST 2004

Thanks for the responses, but I've still not beein able to achieve what I wanted.  Setting the proxy in the gnome configuration works for individual users, but doesn't appear to set a default for all users.  Everyone uses mozilla so is there a mozilla default config file that I could edit?  I've not looked for this myself yet...

Cheers,

Dave

PS since ditching IE and moving to mozilla I've been really impressed by the reduction in unwelcome ads without any external tweaking...

>>> martin at ml1.co.uk 02/07/2004 10:48:15 >>>
Jey Davis wrote:
[...]
> I tried the GNOME Network Proxy and it works a treat for all my
> browsers. (I connect through Privoxy to stop all the unwelcome
> advertising).

A quick and dirty way to block most known ad sites is to add this to
/etc/hosts:

# This is an ad blocking hosts file compiled by
# Mike Skallas(user245(at)hotmail.com)
# Available at http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
# Copyright 2004. Please do not redistribute, use above link.
# Free only for Residential use.
# Just add '127.0.0.9 ADSERVER' to the bottom to continue the list.

127.0.0.9       www.doubleclick.net
[...]

martin at ml1.co.uk