[Nottingham] Grub error or HD prob?

lists at voila.fr lists at voila.fr
Mon Jul 19 18:45:22 BST 2004

All,

Linux came to my rescue before when I had a Winblows prob, but this time I'm stuck.

Got a dual-boot (Windows and Linux), with one HD but several partitions. All data is on separate partitions except the wife's email stuff - mistake!

Anyway I can't boot into Windows on hda1, getting the following error from Grub :

Error 25 : Disk read error
Press any key to continue

When any key is pressed, I can choose a Linux partition and all works as it should. The grub manual tells me that : A disk read error happened while trying to read the stage2 or stage1.5. But doens't say how this can be fixed.

I also tried mounting the Windows partition (FAT32) in Linux with no luck.

Help before the wife does something drastic!

Rgs,

Matt