[Nottingham] Broadband Bullwell

Josh Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 11:52:05 BST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:49:46 +0100, Alex Herington <alex at fnet.nu> wrote:
> Josh Lock wrote:
> > Is Basford just a crappy area or is NTL always unreliable (dropping
> > connections etc)?
>
> I know a few people around the country with NTL broadband and everyone
> seems to have different stories. I know a someone in West Bridgeford
> who's had faultless service from them and someone in Basingstoke who has
> frequent problems, and another person in south Wales who the odd problem
> but nothing too bad.
>
> > I think they all piggy-back off NTL or BT's networks? So should I just
> > go with one of these two providers? If so can you make a
> > recommendation?
>
> When you say "BT ADSL" you have to realise that BT only provide the
> connection between the ISP and your house - it's up to the ISP to
> provide Internet connectivity, so it varies between ADSL ISPs. I've been
> with Zen's ADSL (www.zen.co.uk) for over a year and there's only been
> one minor outtage so far (touch wood) :)
>
> You could try checking out www.adslguide.org for a comparison of ADSL
> providers. Additionally you might want to factor in getting NTL internet
> bundled with cable TV/phone.. etc which could work out cheaper.
>
> Regards,
> Alex.

Half price 600k?
Guess it would be worth a shot if that is the case.
Just found out aswell that the place already has NTL lines installed
and the TV is a definite plus!

Thanks for the advice!

P.S: Anyone know what NTLS monthly transfer cap is?

P.P.S: What do they do when you tell them you run Linux?
When my girlfriend rang during a period of sloooooooow speeds they
didn't even ask what OS she used before doling out advice! Do they
support non Win2k+ platforms?

Regards

Josh