[Nottingham] Card repeatedly needs configuration on startup?

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Jun 1 19:56:04 BST 2004

Hello, again.

One annoyance with my present setup (well, with the Linux end - the Win
XP end is being no end of a pain, but that's another matter!).

Every second time I start up the laptop, the startup routine gets as far
as the 'checking for new hardware' bit, and then "recognises" that I've
got a new ethernet card in.  I haven't: it's the same card combination
as last time.  If I reject the suggestion that I might like to enter the
configuration routine, it won't then recognise either the ethernet card
or the wireless card, and a reboot is needed to get either going[1]: if
I accept the suggestion and go through the configuration dialogues it
all works nicely.

    [1] Perversely, on the latest startup I did whilst composing this
        email, I hit the 'cancel' button by mistake, but the wireless
        card still worked afterwards.  Ho hum.....

On the other times, it thinks I've removed a card instead.  On these
occasions it again offers the configuration option, and the results are
as above.

This means I can't just switch it on and ignore it while it starts up!

Any suggestions? And is there a log of the boot which might help tucked
away somewhere in directory tree?

[I suspect this may be something to do with the wireless card, which is
in a pcmcia slot.  However, I can't configure the wireless card at that
stage of the startup as I'm using ndiswrapper, and none of the native
Linux drivers for wireless cards works - so the probe stage of setting
up a new card can't be used. As long as I complete the configuration for
the ordinary lan card at the startup when it asks me to, everything
works.

As far as the Mandrake hardware set-up is concerned, the lan card and
the wireless card share a name - it thinks they are both a Xircom card,
which is the lan card.  However it will quite happily address the two
separately as eth0 and wlan0.  This may be because it's trying to get
the wireless card set up on boot, and I'm perforce giving it the details
for the lan card].

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England