[Nottingham] Card repeatedly needs configuration on startup?

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Wed Jun 2 19:05:39 BST 2004

In message <zOUHS0FDDNvAFw0+ at ntlworld.com>, David Aldred
<laptop at familyaldred.org.uk> writes:

>Hello, again.
>
>One annoyance with my present setup (well, with the Linux end - the Win
>XP end is being no end of a pain, but that's another matter!).
>
>Every second time I start up the laptop, the startup routine gets as
>far as the 'checking for new hardware' bit, and then "recognises" that
>I've got a new ethernet card in.

Guys, this is seriously weird.  I've just started the laptop for this
evening, and it went straight in - no configuration request, either
'removal' or 'new hardware', and the wireless card is working.  I think
that's the first time since I got wireless working.

It can't be related to the fact that I think I've also sorted out the
Win XP problem since the card isn't switched on at that stage of
startup.

Of course it may happen again, so if anyone's got any ideas I'd welcome
them.  I'll let you know - but I don't plan to keep restarting to try to
find out (that's the sort of thing that you don't do with linux, isn't
it?!)

[The XP problem, in case anyone else finds themselves struggling with a
Windows wireless network: as I really should have known, you should
never, ever accept Microsoft defaults for things thinking it will save
time later - I *think* someone else within wireless reach of here has a
wireless network on the same MS defaults and my machine's been trying to
connect to someone else's network, but failing since my WEP key doesn't
match theirs, if any, and getting horribly confused.  Anyway, as soon as
I renamed the wireless network, it seemed to sort things out].

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England