[Nottingham] distro chance

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Mon Jun 7 15:35:31 BST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:50:55PM +1000, Andrew Mason wrote:
> But for i386-i686 i doubt you would see any, however those with PPC,
> P4, or Althon 64/anything with SSE2 instructions proabably would. If
> these were offered as binary(i.e for each major arch where there are
> advantages) it would be good.

Until you've done tests though it's all up in the air and until you find
noticeable differences it all seems pointless to me.

There used to be an article at but it seems to have disappeared:
 http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=227&page=1

It's linked from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/debian-news-2003/msg00041.html

which says:
	Simple recompiling doesn't seem to speed things up, fine grained
	tuning may.

I don't think anyone has really benchmarked gentoo properly.

Simon.

--
oOoOo   "Be wewy wewy careful. There be dragons here." -- Linus    oOoOo
 oOoOo                          Torvalds                          oOoOo