[Nottingham] distro chance

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 15:30:03 BST 2004

Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:12:52PM +1000, Andrew Mason wrote:
>
>>>Personally, I'd take a look at Gentoo. It's certainly my favourite, although
>>>it'd possibly be even better with precompiled binaries as well.
>>
>>Yes it would =)
>
> But then you'd lose out on the only advantage it has.  I never bought
> the optimising for your processor advantage personally but the

Optimised compiling might gain you up to a 10% performance boost in
general. Some computation type stuff might gain as much as a 200%
speedup. All highly variable.

 > optimising by compiling out/in stuff might be useful.

That's the one nice advantage. I compiled the printed driver for my
system with just the required options. The binary came down to a few
kBytes from over 1MByte which must have gained on loading speed.

> Still not useful enough for me that I'm prepared to spend my life
> compiling things but then I'm a Debian bigot as you all know.

Its all on where your interests lay.

To just get the job done, RPMs or whatever are conveniently fast.

Have fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk