[Nottingham] Samba startup

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 10 17:57:18 BST 2004

(fourth attempt...)

I'm running RH9 and samba as a file server on my mostly windows notwerk.

The problem I'm having is getting samba to announce itself properly on
the network if I restart the RH9 box. Once I restart the box, the
windows machines fail to recognise the the RH9 box, until I go into
the x windows "samba server configuration" tool, and change the server
settings (for example, the description), and ok the changes. Then, and
only then will the windows machines acknowledge the RH9 box.

I'd love not to have to do this every time I reboot the server (I'm
turning it off sometimes to reduce the heat production in my room at
the moment). I'm sure there's got to be a simple one line tweak in a
config file somewhere, but I'll be stuffed if I can find it myself.

Any clues?

Cheers

Steve
--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com