[Nottingham] Samba startup

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 18:09:20 BST 2004

Steve Caddy wrote:
> (fourth attempt...)
>
> I'm running RH9 and samba as a file server on my mostly windows notwerk.
>
> The problem I'm having is getting samba to announce itself properly on
> the network if I restart the RH9 box. Once I restart the box, the
> windows machines fail to recognise the the RH9 box, until I go into
> the x windows "samba server configuration" tool, and change the server
> settings (for example, the description), and ok the changes. Then, and
> only then will the windows machines acknowledge the RH9 box.
>
> I'd love not to have to do this every time I reboot the server (I'm
> turning it off sometimes to reduce the heat production in my room at
> the moment). I'm sure there's got to be a simple one line tweak in a
> config file somewhere, but I'll be stuffed if I can find it myself.
>
> Any clues?

Sorry... But you're not giving us any clues!!!

Look up/try:

service samba start
(or possibly "service smb start")

Have you got samba enabled to start at boot up?
Have you set your domain/workgroup and set samba as controller master??

Have you given your server a fully qualified name?

Try reading the docs/howtos?
Check the logs??

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk