[Nottingham] Re: Tape Backup failure

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 11:52:45 BST 2004

So here's the latest.  I left it to try and do a 'normal' backup then looked at eh results with "tar tvzf /dev/st0", and guess what?  The last thing is a little message allong the lines of:
'blimey! you've used a whole tape up so I'm going to stop here'
So I decided to have a look through the user's home files and see quite who big they were.  of ~50Gb total I discovered one user had about 20Gb!!!

------Embrassed pause as Dave takes of admin hat and puts on user hat-------
I've now Archived my 20Gb of simulation data
------Returns to admin hat status quo----------

Last night the tape drive succesfully backed up "/home"...

So I've solved the problem, but am still confused. If the backup creates a tarball of ~10Gb, and the tapes say 24Gb on the side, why does it fill up the tape?  How can I find the real capacity of the tape?

Thanks for the help as ever. I've once again added to my admin knowledge!

Dave

David Wolfson

Institute of Biomechanics
School of 4M