[Nottingham] Where does the Gimp live?

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu Jun 17 21:53:12 BST 2004

In message <40D1E4B3.8070109 at ml1.co.uk>, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>
writes:
>David Aldred wrote:
>>  I've installed The GIMP v2 on my Mandrake system, and now I'm trying
>>to  install the help files.
>>  The installation routine for the help files complains that it
>>doesn't know  where the main GIMP-2.0 installation directory is.
>>Problem is, nor do I!
>>  How do I find out - other than searching the entire structure for a
>>suitable  file?
>
>As root, try:
>
>updatedb
>locate gimp
>
>or
>
>whereis gimp

Thanks - that did it!

If anyone else needs to know, it's in the /usr/ directory structure. The
actual file the help file installation is looking for isn't there unless
you've complied the Gimp yourself, but using the --without-gimp and
--prefix=/usr options on the help installation configure makes it all
work.

>or read the docs!

I installed the Gimp from an rpm, and there didn't seem to be anything
in the docs which was specific about where a distribution-specific
install might put the program.  Serves me right for not doing the whole
compile thing, I suppose!

>If you're installing from a tar file, then have a look at
>"checkinstall" to let you make an rpm install/uninstall package.

Just had a look at its homepage, which seem to imply there is an issue
with checkinstall and new linux distros - I suspect Mandrake 10 is 'new'
in this context!

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England