[Nottingham] Re: Mandrake checkinstall (Was: Where does the Gimp live?)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 22:00:15 BST 2004

David Aldred wrote:
> In message <40D1E4B3.8070109 at ml1.co.uk>, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> writes:
[...]
> Thanks - that did it!

Good.

>> If you're installing from a tar file, then have a look at
>> "checkinstall" to let you make an rpm install/uninstall package.
>
> Just had a look at its homepage, which seem to imply there is an issue
> with checkinstall and new linux distros - I suspect Mandrake 10 is 'new'
> in this context!

Yes... although fixes are in progress. For the moment note:

(From the checkinstall mail list)
###
Paul Smith wrote:
 >> Dear All
 >>
 >> I have used checkinstall to produce my rpms. However, I would like to
 >> know whether there is checkinstall specific to produce Mandrake rpms.
 >> Are the general rpms as optimized as mandrake specific rpms?
 >>
 >> Thanks in advance!
 >>
 >> Paul

Download the checkinstall source and compile, then use checkinstall to
install itself.  The install will be specific for your setup, however, the
rpm from the checkinstall website works fine.  If you are using MDK 10
edit the file /usr/lib/rpm/macros (as root) and change both lines that read

%_unpackaged_files_terminate_build      1

%_unpackaged_files_terminate_build      0

otherwise checkinstall won't complete any install.
###

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk