[Nottingham] pop3 problems

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 17:39:06 BST 2004

danny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Configuring a new server and have got to configuring the mail server. I
> decided to go for postfix and got it working great after much work :)
>
> I then tried to get pop3 working but i cant seem to suceed. I wonder if anyone
> can help? :)
>
> im using the courier-imap pop3 deamon (as suggested by the documentation i was
> reading from)
[...]

Sorry, I'm confused as to whether you're trying to do this all on an
internal LAN or from internet -> 'home server'...

You need to specify what interfaces courier listens on and accepts. You
also need to add into /etc/hosts.allow (or you equivalent) to permit
access to the ipop3d daemon:

ipop3d: 192.168.1.

or

ipop3d: ALL

or whatever. (Trailing "." is significant)

Also beware, your id and password are sent in plain text with pop3! Use
pop3s or much better, imaps.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk