[Nottingham] libtinfow.so.5

Peter Chang Peter.Chang at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 15:52:37 BST 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, dalkus wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > When trying to install readline-4.3-9 i get the error :
> >
> > libtinfow.so.5 is needed by readline-4.3-9
> >
> > i have searched all over google, all the rpm sites i know....and i cant find
> > anything called libtinfow. (libtinfo seems to be a differnt package)

I looked on google and the first link indicates that it's installed by
ncurses which makes some sense as tinfo could be short for terminfo. It's
not in version 5.3 on my RH9 distribution so I guess it was introduced
with 5.4 for wide characters. In PLD (according to the link suggested by
google), libtinfo.so is linked to libtinfow.so.

> > Does anyone know where i can get libtinfow.so.5? Am i looking for the wrong
> > thing?
[snipped]

> guessing that libtinfow.so.5 would normally be installed in either
> /lib or /usr/lib
> try:
> rpm -qf /lib/libtinfow.so.5
> rpm -qf /usr/lib/libtinfow.so.5
>
> and see if one of them tells you wich package this library is meant to
> be part of.

The question asked indicated that it isn't in the RPM database so the
chances are that it doesn't exist on his machine. Assuming, of course,
that there wasn't an bug in RPM or the db wasn't corrupt.

Peter