[Nottingham] port problem

dalkus danny at rootshell.be
Sat Jun 26 10:48:34 BST 2004

hi,

Im having problems resuming and sending dcc transfers in xchat, i can receive
just fine so im almost certain its because i dont have the correct ports
open.

I use a hardware router and i opened the ports 50000-50004 and forwarded it to
my box. But this didn't fix the problem, i did a check and i got this:

[root at localhost]# nmap -P0 -sS -p 30000-30004 localhost

Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-06-26 18:04 BST
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
PORT      STATE  SERVICE
30000/tcp closed unknown
30001/tcp closed unknown
30002/tcp closed unknown
30003/tcp closed unknown
30004/tcp closed unknown

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.057 seconds

So the next logical step was to tell iptables to open those ports on this box
but i found it wasnt installed...

i installed iptables (correctly) and did:
iptables -F INPUT

because i dont want iptables doing anything since the router does a fine job
of looking after ports.

This didnt, however open the ports. The nmap command returns the same
information. Ive searched google and found nothing, also noone in my linux
help irc channel could give any more suggestions.

Does anyone here know what i could do?

sorry for the long email