[Nottingham] linux and pest

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 12:19:10 BST 2004

Robert Macaraeg wrote:
> I am going to hook my new linux machine to the
> internet soon. I am wondering with all the virus and
> worms floating around designed for the Microsoft
> environment, what software or other precautions I do
> to avoid the linux versions of these pests.

As always, it depends...

If you're just hooking up a single machine for web browsing, then pretty
much no worries for you beyond just sensible security.

If you're going to offer any "services", then you'll need to check further.

In general, MS viruses cannot execute on linux. The only similar things
in the linux world are trojans, worms, and 'root-kits', and they are
exceedingly rare in comparison. All the "linux virus scanners" at
present only scan for MS viruses to protect MS machines!

There will always be various exploits possible. However, the vulnerable
ones get fixed and publicised very quickly in linux. Just keep your
system updated.

So... If you offer no services, then you don't even need a firewall!

If you offer properly configured services, then you still don't need a
firewall.

However, a firewall does have some value as another layer of security.
However #2: It can also give a false sense of security if you don't know
what it is or isn't doing.

To summarise:

Ensure you have good passwords for your logins, especially so for root,
and go enjoy the web.

The worst you need worry about is getting picked up on one of the
spammers' email lists...

Have fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk