[Nottingham] Installation problems - Mandrake 10

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 19:20:19 BST 2004

On Sunday 27 Jun 2004 22:24, David Aldred wrote:
> Hello again...
>
> Now that I'm happy with Linux on the laptop, I've been trying it on one
> of the other machines here (my son's), and run into some problems.
>
> First of all, it must be said that this machine has been unhappy under
> Windows - frequent bluescreens with the Windows error messages
> indicating it might be something to do with IRQ's.  The messages aren't
> particularly informative, though.

Maybe worthwhile having a look in Device Manager in the Control panel to see
if there are any errors or clashes.

> If the problem was Windows related, one option was to try Linux and see
> if it was happier.  But we can't even get Mandrake to install.
>
> Trying to boot from installation CD 1 simply doesn't work.  Using CD 2
> works, then says it can't find a valid Mandrake installation disk.  If
> at this stage we put in CD 1, it seems to start installing - then
> crashes with a 'fatal error' message saying it can't find
> /usr/bin/runinstall2.  That file does exist on the CD, under a /Mandrake
> directory, rather than under the root.  Trying using a floppy disk to
> start the process gets us to the same place!
>
> Any ideas, anyone?

Hello David
			Looks like a Hardware fault if you are having this sort of trouble and the
hardware on your PC is pretty standard.

     A week or so ago I had a PC, which wouldn't install W98, failed in the
same place after 30 mins or so, wouldn't install W2K - this failed with
corrupt  files when decompressing during an install.
   On the Linux side the latest version of Knoppix stopped in the  boot
process with no errors. A year old edition of Knoppix gave CDRom errors on
boot up-- a big clue given that the CDrom was on the 2nd IDE I/F.
  Finally found by swapping around components that the 2nd IDE interface was
intermittently failing.  A new MB -- I don't think so. The tip? yes more
likely.
				Derek