[Nottingham] Installation problems - Mandrake 10

Simon Osborne flibblesan at coconutsmusume.co.uk
Sun Jun 27 23:14:30 BST 2004

David Aldred wrote:
> Hello again...
>
> Now that I'm happy with Linux on the laptop, I've been trying it on one
> of the other machines here (my son's), and run into some problems.
>
> First of all, it must be said that this machine has been unhappy under
> Windows - frequent bluescreens with the Windows error messages
> indicating it might be something to do with IRQ's.  The messages aren't
> particularly informative, though.

It sounds like your CDROM drive is having trouble reading CD1 of
Mandrake. Are there any marks on the CD? Try giving it a wipe and seeing
if that will fix things. When you used CD2 and then inserted CD1 and got
the error about not being able to find a file, it's because the drive
can't read the CD.

Once you get the CD reading, try loading BIOS defaults and installing
again. If that fails, remove any non-essential PCI cards from the
machine. You might want to try and re-arrange the PCI cards so Network
card and graphics card (if PCI) are in the top slots, with soundcard in
the middle and modem at the bottom.

Hope this helps you, any questions let me know :)

Simon