[Nottingham] deleting selected POP3 mail

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Thu Mar 4 17:37:36 GMT 2004

James Gibbon wrote:

> So, to come to the point - is there a (preferably lightweight)
> Linux mailer which will allow me to:
>
> [*] read my mail on the move, leaving it on the mailserver
>     where required so my desktop can get it eventually as well
>
> [*] delete selected POP3 mail on the mailserver, so I can remove
>     spam
>
> and preferably
>
> [*] browse POP3 mail by headers without actually downloading it

I ended up downloading a simple but useful console tool called p3c
which prompts the user to delete each mail after displaying From
/To/Subject headers (http://sourceforge.net/projects/p3c/)

I've extended it for my own purposes to read in a set of strings
from a file and skip messages which contain one of the strings in
the To: header, effectively assuming mailing-list mail to be valid.

Would have been great if there was a general-purpose mailer that
allowed you to selectively delete mails on the server, but the above
will do the job.

James