[Nottingham] Distributed filesystems

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Mon Mar 8 11:58:31 GMT 2004

Hello people

Other than those who I've already chuntered about this to, does anyone have
much experience of the use of Linux distributed filesystems? I'd appreciate
hearing about anything to do with:

software RAID using the nbd or enbd kernel modules
CODA
AFS
Intermezzo (or whatever it's called today)
GFS
etc etc etc.

I'm trying to build a system whereby all the servers in the system act as part
of a shared filestore, without wanting to resort to NFS (locking issues
abound). It could well be a fully-active system, where all component parts are
client-facing, or it could be an active-passive system where we have some kit
"backgrounded" waiting to step in should an active server fail.

I seem to have about a hundred different ways to go about it, so would
appreciate any pointers or experiences you might have.

Graeme