[Nottingham] Distributed filesystems

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Mon Mar 8 12:59:17 GMT 2004

Graeme Fowler wrote:

> I'm trying to build a system whereby all the servers in the system
> act as part of a shared filestore, without wanting to resort
> to NFS (locking issues abound). It could well be a fully-active
> system, where all component parts are client-facing, or it
> could be an active-passive system where we have some kit
> "backgrounded" waiting to step in should an active server fail.
>
> I seem to have about a hundred different ways to go about it, so
> would appreciate any pointers or experiences you might have.

I used to work as an SA in a firm which made heavy use of AFS under
Solaris - very scalable, highly efficient use of caching, very
nice security features (uses ACLs) and possible to set up so that a
RO server could die without users ever knowing or caring about it.

There's an FAQ here: http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/afs-faq.html