[Nottingham] Newbie Setting up server for home network

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 00:17:13 GMT 2004

Mark Ratcliffe wrote:
[...]
> Whilst I`m here, I cant decide which distro to go for as the
> firewall; the choices I have come down to-
>
> Mandrake or

All singing all dancing, nice GUIs, can get bewildering for the multiple
choices for all the features you could ever want... Have a play if you
have some time.

> Smoothwall

Obvious choice as its /intended/ as a out-of-the-box firewall. You'll
have to play further for whatever file serving or whatever you want to add.

> I do have a couple of other distros lying about but am not really
> 100% sure about configuring them so am leaving them alone for the
> moment.

Have a play. The worst is that you might learn something with the time.

It would also be interesting for a few one-liners of what you find.

Ask around at one of our meetings!

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk