[Nottingham] Upgrading Redhat 9 to Redhat ES

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Wed Mar 17 09:58:17 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 09:43, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> I've not introduced my self on the list yet, but I have been lurking for a
> fair while now. Hi! I'm having difficulty finding any documentation on
> this so thought I'd ask here.

Hi Mike, nice to see new blood. I forget, have we met?

> Can anyone give me any pointers to information about how to upgrade a
> Redhat 9 system to Redhat ES? I know it would be better to do a fresh
> install, but I'd like to see what is involved with the upgrade first.

I gather it's just a pop-the-disk-in and start installation task. When
anaconda starts, it'll scan for existing installations of Red Hat and
bring up a list of installed versions and offer you the chance to pick
one of them to upgrade.

Providing you haven't made too many modifications, the upgrade should be
fairly clean.

The same goes for any Red Hat upgrade, including v9 -> Fedora Core,
although I'm told that Fedora Core 1.90 upgrades aren't entirely clean
right now.

--
rob