[Nottingham] Upgrading Redhat 9 to Redhat ES

Mike Cardwell lug at blubbernet.com
Wed Mar 17 10:38:38 GMT 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rob Andrews wrote:

>> I've not introduced my self on the list yet, but I have been lurking for a
>> fair while now. Hi! I'm having difficulty finding any documentation on
>> this so thought I'd ask here.
> Hi Mike, nice to see new blood.

I've been lurking for a few months. I tried to introduce my self once but
I sent from the wrong email address and it bounced back to me a day or so
later. :(

> I forget, have we met?

I don't think so. I would remember. ;)

>> Can anyone give me any pointers to information about how to upgrade a
>> Redhat 9 system to Redhat ES? I know it would be better to do a fresh
>> install, but I'd like to see what is involved with the upgrade first.
> I gather it's just a pop-the-disk-in and start installation task. When
> anaconda starts, it'll scan for existing installations of Red Hat and
> bring up a list of installed versions and offer you the chance to pick
> one of them to upgrade.
>
> Providing you haven't made too many modifications, the upgrade should be
> fairly clean.

I suspected as much.. I was mainly wondering if there were any issues with
the provided support if you do an upgrade rather than a fresh install.

Mike