[Nottingham] I expect nothing but abuse...

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue May 4 20:33:48 BST 2004

Since this not really a linux question, and relates to the inadequacies of bindowz I expect nothing in reponse to this other than abuse for being too chicken to fully commit to linux.  But I am, and as it relates to software designed for linux it seems silly not to at least see what such a knowledgable group has to say (grovel grovel)

In an attempt to escape from the office and work from home I have set up an ftp site on a UNIX server at uni to act as a remote filestore. I'd like to get this to syncronise with a local folder on startup/shutdown on both my home & office machines (both windows) so that I know I'm working on the most up to date version of a file wherever I am. I've been able to do this in an individual folder using ftp scripts, but have a couple of problems.

First off, I'd like this syncronization to append files rather than overwirte them. This should reduce the up/download time as well as ensuring I don't overwrite a newer vesrion of the file. I've been able to do this getting files using a windows version of wget, but it's "sister" program wput seems unable to log into our server. You will be please to hear that I have at least installed and tried this on the ol' linux box, but with no more sucess.  Has anyone else played with this, and if so do they have any ideas why this might be/how I can fix it? It connects to the server happily but fails to login, which seems odd as wget does it quiet happily...

The second problem stems from this. If I can't get it to work with wput, can I write an ftp script that will upload a directory tree, without defining that tree first?

As I say, I'm fully aware that I deserve nothing but waves of derision for this post, but any suggetions/solutions would be greatly recived.

Thank once again in advance

Dave