[Nottingham] Single User Mode

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Tue May 4 14:57:39 BST 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Incandescant  wrote:

> Thanks Graeme,
> That'll do the trick.
>
> >I suspect you don't then need telling how to run fsck? :p
>
> I think I can manage but I'll be sure to post back if I get stuck :p
>
> Don't actually need to run it now I've just always been curious.
>
> Most Mac users I know of recommend running FSCK after each major OS update.
>
> When would the NLug'ers recommend an fsck?
> When suffering disk problems?

If all you want to do is fsck then have a look in your init.d scripts.
Some distro's allow you to request an fsck on boot by creating a file /forcefsck
(or equivalent).
ie.
	%# touch /forcefsck
	%# reboot

Most distros also default to use the 'max-mount-counts'  (or 'interval-between-checks')
property of ext[23] filesystems to trigger an fsck after so many reboots (remounts actually
but the fsck will only occur on a reboot).  It usually defaults to 20-30 reboots.
This can be a serious PITA if you switch a machine on to do a five minute job and it
decides now is the time to fsck that large partition you keep around.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,