[Nottingham] synchronisation using ftp-update

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri May 7 14:33:57 BST 2004

so I've still not done any work this week, but my housemates now think I writing some kind of ground breaking program.  MOre to do with the time I've spent than what I've achieved!

First bit of good news is that although I've still not ditched windows, I'm now running cygwin which has got to be a step in the right direction!

More related to what I want to do, I've managed to get rsync up and running on the linux box @ work, and here on windows.  It seems to work fine, but (you were all waiting for that weren't you!) still requires a password to authenticate on the server.  I've now spent about 2 days banging my head against a wall trying to get ssh keys working, but whatever I do it just seems to ignore them! very frustrating!

I've been taking advice from a number of sources, mainly Robert Scholten at:

http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_pc1.html

I think I've done everything listed, but whenever I log on I still get a password request!  My guess is that the keys just not being used a one end, or the other, or both, but I can't get a handle on how to 'switch on' the key?

I've uncommented the following in the sshd_config file:

RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
AuthorizedKeysFile	.ssh/authorized_keys

'cos I thought that might be a good idea (no better reason!).

anyone got any ideas what I've got wrong?

Also, I'm off on holiday next week so won't be along for pizza.  Does that mean my vote for bella past is null?

Cheers again,

Dave

>>> eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk 05/05/2004 10:06:45 >>>
First off, thanks for some helpful responses off topic.

[are you really expecting abuse?]
Not at all!  But from a 'level headed' and jocular list such as this I was expecting a ribbing for playing chicken with Linux ["Windows based ;-)"] and general sucky tone ["[snipped grovel]"...?].  I got it, and to be honest would have given it!

[at least using a Linux server]/[I was under the impression that non-official ftp servers at the uni were being blocked by the firewall]
I'm afraid it's not even a Linux server or unofficial, but simply a file on the uni ftp site.  I suspect that you're right and it would be blocked, but more importantly I wouldn't know how to set that up!

Which leads quite nicely to rsync.
>From a quick read around this looks like it would be an ideal solution, but I've not managed to establish yet if I'd need to have a server.  I don't really think the information service would like it if I tried to set that up on their ftp server...  If not, and all I need is a windows client then all I just have to compile it.  Hmmm.  A little daunting as a newbie, but I need to have a read round before I bottle it completely!

[Have you tried with the basic old command-line manual ftp program?]/[Grab a listing from your download and compare...]
Yup.  I've got it working for the contents of an individual folder and it's happy both ways. eg:

open "ftphost"
username
password
binary - I can't justify this but it seemed like a good idea...?
cd path/my/ftpfolder
mput my\local\folder\*.*
bye

but this overwrites everything each time and can't cope with a directory tree.  It could be made to by comparing a listing, but that's the robust belt and braces solution that I'm trying to avoid working out how to do (although by now it would probably have been quicker and a better learning experience).  Also maybe not the most elegant?

[Sounds like you want a basic version control system...]
Ah, so that's what you call it.  I new there had to be a better way to describe it - thank you!  I've had a very quick read of the CVS website but will look more.  Again I need to find out if I need a server...

[Suspicious if wget works but wput doesn't.]
very.  I've tried to contact the network support peps to find out if this is a security thing (again, why should it be if wget works...?) but have not yet had a response.
[ Can you show us some output?]
certainly:

From wget:

--09:48:48--  ftp://*username*:*password*@ftp.nottingham.ac.uk/my/ftp/folder/test.txt
           => `.listing'
Resolving ftp.nottingham.ac.uk... 128.243.40.48
Connecting to ftp.nottingham.ac.uk[128.243.40.48]:21... connected.
Logging in as *username* ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /home/eaxdrw/my/ftp/folder ... done.
==> PORT ... done.    ==> LIST ... done.

etc, etc, etc....

but from wput:

--09:52:04-- `test.txt'
    => ftp://username:xxxxx@128.243.40.48:21/my/ftp/folder/test.txt
Connecting to 128.243.40.48:21...  connected!
Logging in as eaxdrw ... Login Failed. Skipping all files from this account...

this is also using the '--peace' option (which is a default) that I assume is the equivalent to 'passive'...

All of which feels like a very long answer to give (especially 'off topic'), but hopefully complete.  I really ought to do some work now, but as and when I try any of these things I shall let you know the outcome.  I may even try and spot the man with a cucumber in his pocket in the roebuck later.  Would be good to put faces to names!

Thanks once again (and appologies to those who don't want to hear my trials with bindows/windros),
Dave

David Wolfson

Institute of Biomechanics
School of 4M