[Nottingham] Wireless network cards

Edam nlug.mail2news at waxworlds.org
Sat May 8 19:14:00 BST 2004

Hello all!

I'm new to the nottingham lug. I did meet some of you when someone put on
that film/documentary about the history of linux about 6 months ago or
something? My name's Tim, but I dont spose I'll be remembered...  :o)
Anyway, I have an emergancy question (cause there's a computer fair tomorrow
and I need to get the bits quick!) about wireless networking and linux, and
thought this'd be the place to pose it!

Basically, I'm wanting to connect a machine to a network round the corner
and down the street. The distance is about 100-150m over a couple of
roof-tops. I dont mind if the machine runs linux or windows, but it would be
connecting to a linux machine on the network.

Does anyone have any suggestions of wireless network cards that work well
with linux, or with a linux-to-windows connection? And am i being
unrealistic in thinking it will transmit 150m (over roof-tops, no
line-of-sight)? And if I am, what should i do instead?!

I'd very much appreciate any advice anyone can give me cause I'm poor and I
dont want to buy the wrong bits!  :o)

Thanks! And hello to you all simultaniously!

--
  Edam (Wax Worlds) - www.waxworlds.org/edam