[Nottingham] Re: Wireless network cards

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Sat May 8 19:34:34 BST 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:13:59 +0100
"Edam" <nlug.mail2news at waxworlds.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions of wireless network cards that work
> well with linux, or with a linux-to-windows connection? And am i being
> unrealistic in thinking it will transmit 150m (over roof-tops, no
> line-of-sight)?

There are a number of wireless network cards that work well with Linux
(see ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net, there's a supported chipset link off the
FAQ page) and you *might* just manage it at that range, but I would think
you'd be struggling.

Just picked up the manual for my own desktop wireless NIC, a Belkin 54g
card that works well with Mandrake (using ndiswrapper and the supplied
XP driver).  Typical operating range is quoted as:

     802.11b: 180m @ 11Mbps, 300m @ 5.5Mbps or lower
     802.11g: 50m @ 54Mbps, 150m @ 18Mbps

.. however these are usually quoted with absolute optimal operating
conditions in mind at best and are downright exaggerated at worst.

Interested to hear if anyone's got wireless working over longish distances,
I've only tried it (and only need it) to manage about 6 or 7m myself!

Cheers
James