[Nottingham] Wireless network cards

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Sun May 9 09:38:25 BST 2004

Edam

> Basically, I'm wanting to connect a machine to a network round the corner
> and down the street. The distance is about 100-150m over a couple of
> roof-tops.

I'm guessing that that distance would be difficult with standard
wireless hardware if there are any obstructions at all. You may be able
to use routers with external antennas.

> Does anyone have any suggestions of wireless network cards that work well
> with linux, or with a linux-to-windows connection? And am i being
> unrealistic in thinking it will transmit 150m (over roof-tops, no
> line-of-sight)? And if I am, what should i do instead?!

If there is a large flat surface (eg. the front of a terrace of houses)
which could act like a mirror it may be possible to bounce the signal
off that. But you would have to be creative about placing the antenna.
Maybe you could put a repeater somewhere inbetween?

> I'd very much appreciate any advice anyone can give me cause I'm poor and I
> dont want to buy the wrong bits!  :o)

Do you know anyone with such hardware that you could borrow the cards to
try them out?

-Cam