[Nottingham] Newbie intro

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon May 10 17:47:55 BST 2004

Just found this group and signed up...

A brief intro: I've worked though CP/M, DOS (various), Windows (various,
ending up with XP Pro) - no serious beef, really, but just the general
feeling that there's something better Out There...

Having wondered about trying out Linux before, and needing more computer
power for the household (me, plus four computer-literate kids in the
house, and my wife now also starting to take an interest, is overloading
my network of two PC's!), I've bought a laptop from someone on Ebay, and
it arrives later this week.  It has Linux on it.

Oh, all right, I'm still a bit of a chicken - Linux and Windows dual
boot.  The Linux is SUSE 8.2.  If I can get it to talk to my Windows
network and the networked printer and Internet connection, and if the
kids can cope with an OS change (I think they will - or at least the
older ones, who have the homework assignments!) then I'll remove the
Windows bit fairly soon.  Give me a fair few months and it might just
replace Windows in the house entirely.

So you can expect lots of questions, soon, on a fairly basic level, if
that's OK!  Be kind.... :-)

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England