[Nottingham] Newbie intro

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon May 10 22:12:50 BST 2004

In message <200405101815.48277.danny at rootshell.be>, danny
<danny at rootshell.be> writes
>Hi, i was new to linux several months ago....perhaps 5 now? cant remember and
>being 15 and not that experienced at anything other than windows (id played
>around with a shell before a tiny bit) i found it a little hard to move to
>linux, maybe i can give you some advice :)

Thanks!

>> The Linux is SUSE 8.2.  If I can get it to talk to my Windows
>> network and the networked printer and Internet connection...
>
>SUSE isnt the best choice for a linux newbie in my opinion. Its a solid distro
>once youve got soem experience in linux but if you dont you will probably
>find it hard to maintain and setup.

Right....   The machine's coming with it already installed - the
previous owner having used mostly Linux - so I'm cautious about
immediately changing to something else!  The only things I should need
to set up short term will be the network connection, printer, and
possibly connecting my Fuji digital camera and Palm.

Once I get more into it, though, I will probably be looking for the
'best' distribution (and that comment's probably enough to start a
*very* long thread!).

Thanks for your suggestions on which ones to look at.

>> Give me a fair few months and it might just
>> replace Windows in the house entirely.
>
>after a month (At the most) of running both windows and linux i got rid of
>windows.

That's impressive.  We'll see what market resistance I get!  (Mind you,
I could always leave them one running some flavour of Windows, until
they got fed up with it).

> Been able to do all my homework on my computer using OpenOffice or
>Abiword most windows apps (including games) run okay on it (through
>winex3....a windows emulator).

Wine is certainly something I want to give a try.  Could bridge some
gaps!

> Havnt looked back since. If using msn
>messenger is a problem for your kids there are linux clients
>available...check out amsn.souceforge.net.

I've been trying to get them off MSN (which I never really trusted) and
onto Jabber for a while anyway, with little success!  Actually, I think
they use it far less than they once did anyway.

On the subject of getting hold of Linux software, is there anywhere in
Nottingham which supplies such things on CD?  I know I can mail order
it, but sometimes I get impatient!

Downloading might be the answer sometimes, but I'm not broadbanded!

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England