[Nottingham] Odd request - drive multiple VGA

Michael perl at tecspy.com
Tue May 11 22:23:30 BST 2004

I'm looking for some Linux-happy hardware to drive multiple VGA displays
from the same CPU -- quite specifically 30 VGA displays!!! I've had some
fun in recent years with Predator 4 & 8-head VGA cards but that was
purely Win32 - now I want to step it up somewhat and display individual
fullscreen raster images on 4 banks of 30 separate 800x600 TFT screens
(120 in total) controlled (or directed) from the same CPU or from 4
separate CPUs.

My first ideas are based on an array of multi-output PCI VGA cards -
however, these cards can be more costly that a cheap PC. So another
option is for a low-unit-cost local processor attached to each TFT
running a tiny distro whose sole job it is to display a fullscreen
framebuffer or X image as dictated by a server. The required update rate
is in the order of one static image every 10 seconds but all the screens
need to update promptly on demand and preferably in a particular sequence.

So, any thoughts out there?

Out of interest, what sort of bandwidth would remote X sessions demand
if the images are static?

Regards,

Michael.