[Nottingham] Action required! New ("clandestine") EU Software Patent Legislation: a real threat for Linux and Open Source

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Thu May 13 20:43:56 BST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 17:11, Martin wrote:
> Cam wrote:
> > .... Political topics
> > are best kept out of the LUG lists though, nuff said.
>
> Political topics directly threatening the group/linux are very much
> on-topic and require a response.
>
> The theat of corporate patents making what and how you type to be
> illegal is very real and needlessly disruptive in a very negative way.
>
> Remember how clicking onto an icon was patented for a certain
> business... Your index finger must be very illegal by now had no furrore
> been stirred...
>

> MPs might not be technically savvy, but they do respond to the bulk
> numbers of mailings for a topic.
>
> Or which planet are you on?
>

> Regards,
> Martin

I think he's on the planet which says -- "know your MP/MEP and how to lobby"

Emailing is of little use, apparently 50% of MPs don't read/take much notice
of emails --- and why should they?  It only takes one member of a small
pressure group to get 20 or so mail accounts and mail from each one of them
AND he is not necessary a constituent -- why should the MP/MEP take any
notice of emails. ?

If you want to email then then go ahead, but don't forget that they probably
get  50+ emails to read (or for their staff to read initially) a day from the
public + written letter + faxes + phone calls. Then there's the
communications from councils, the government, etc etc.

Anything incoherent or abusive or rambling just gets the button -- that's the
button mentioned above.

Try a polite(ish) email, bullet-pointed and as short as you can, put in your
name + address (so they know that you are a constituent and it's checkable) -
the people who read it are expected to know about fox-hunting, abortion,
torture in Iraq, Ruddy Duck culls, blocked drains, the Health service,
Surestart for the under 3s, Planning permission; relegation of Notts County
pensions and council tax for the elderly etc ...etc

Patent issues are boring to them -- and that's the trouble.

There's some competition out there for our (minority) viewpoint.  It is
*important*, just tell them how important. The Microsoft (et al) sponsorship
of the EU presidency is a new one on me-- I thought the EU/Irish government
had enough money of their own for things like that.  It shows how bad things
are.

BTW -- you know they have received your email, when you get a  trojan-type
email back : ).

					Derek Huskisson