[Nottingham] Action required! New ("clandestine") EU Software Patent Legislation: a real threat for Linux and Open Source

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Fri May 14 07:35:32 BST 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Derek Huskisson wrote:

> Patent issues are boring to them -- and that's the trouble.
>
> There's some competition out there for our (minority) viewpoint.  It is
> *important*, just tell them how important. The Microsoft (et al) sponsorship
> of the EU presidency is a new one on me-- I thought the EU/Irish government
> had enough money of their own for things like that.  It shows how bad things
> are.

It looks as if the Germans might be starting to make noises according to
this article.  And I'm sure that when the French find out it's an idea
that's come from america they will put their awkward hats on (actually I'd
rather that they voted against it for better reasons than that but the
result is the important thing in the short term).

--
Mark O'Shea