[Nottingham] Introduction (repeat?)

James Green jkg at jimbo.org.uk
Fri May 14 18:53:46 BST 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 06:45:41PM +0100, Michael Whitby wrote:

> My question would be; has
> anyone used core? is it good? are they any other distro's similar but
> possibly (in your opinion) better (and why)?

I've never used Core Linux. In fact this is the first I've heard of it!
<googles a bit... ahah> You want Gentoo, you do.

Well. If you install something like Debian, you'll get a nice minimal
system, then you can gradually "apt-get" stuff as you need it, working
up from whatever command line apps you want, then the x-window-system
package, then a full desktop environment if that's what you want in the
end.

If you're more interested in seeing what's going on "under the hood", I
guess the gentoo installation process is a fairly good learning
experience, though I think it would help to have some Linux experience
before attempting it -- that said, if you've been playing with Core
already, maybe that's not a problem :-)

I can't really comment on other distros, it's been far too long since I
used them in anger. No doubt more people will be along in a moment to
endorse the others, anyway ;-)

James.
--
PGP fingerprint 3E85 0C7A FE11 42E9 A599 094D AE16 90F0 81AE 16FF, ID 81AE16FF
If you laid all of our laws end to end, there would be no end.