[Nottingham] Laptop arrived - now for networking.....

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat May 15 11:55:13 BST 2004

Hello, all!

My Linux laptop arrived this morning - all seems to work...

Now then - how do I get the thing to talk to my XP machine? The XP
machine needs to remain the main machine in the little network, since it
has other machines connecting to it, and I can't replace its functions
with a laptop!

If I connect the network cable to the laptop, and tell it to use IP
address 192.168.0.11 (the 'main' machine is already set as 192.168.0.1),
I can ping both ways and get no packet loss - so the connection is
there.  Windows network browsing just doesn't know there's anything
attached, though, and I don't yet even really know where to look on the
Linux machine to see what it's got connected.

Linux system is Suse 8.1 personal.

Where do I start?

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England