[Nottingham] Laptop arrived - now for networking.....

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Sat May 15 13:01:41 BST 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 11:54, David Aldred wrote:
> Hello, all!
>

> If I connect the network cable to the laptop, and tell it to use IP
> address 192.168.0.11 (the 'main' machine is already set as 192.168.0.1),
> I can ping both ways and get no packet loss - so the connection is
> there.  Windows network browsing just doesn't know there's anything
> attached, though, and I don't yet even really know where to look on the
> Linux machine to see what it's got connected.
>
> Linux system is Suse 8.1 personal.
>
> Where do I start?

 Hello David
			You need samba running on your linux laptop.

Try doing :  smbclient -L 192.168.0.11
		on your laptop.
 You should get a list of the resources which your laptop is set up to share
(via samba)

You can also do a: smbclient -L 192.168.0.1
		on your Linux laptop to see if it can see the shared resouces on your XP
system.  That's assuming you have anything shared on the XP system.

If smbclient does not run or comes up with no shared resources on your linux
laptop then you will have to install/set up samba. Via YAST I assume.

				HTH
						Derek