[Nottingham] Laptop arrived - now for networking.....

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat May 15 13:36:20 BST 2004

In message <200405151300.58498.derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk>, Derek
Huskisson <derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk> writes
>You can also do a: smbclient -L 192.168.0.1
>               on your Linux laptop to see if it can see the shared
>resouces on your XP
>system.  That's assuming you have anything shared on the XP system.

Now that was interesting!

It came up, first with what seemed to be an error ("failed - called name
not present"), then with a password request.  I hit 'return' and it came
up with a list of the shares on the XP machine.

So it seems that the Linux machine can see the Windows one.  Now, where
should I be looking to find the XP machine's shares in some sort of file
manager window?

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England