[Nottingham] Laptop arrived - now for networking.....

David Williams David at rhiowgwil.freeserve.co.uk
Sun May 16 13:22:07 BST 2004

Hi David/Derek,

Before you start worrying too much, I wonder if a typo has crept in to cause
chaos.  If you try smb://192.168.0.1, what happens?

The range 192.168.x.y is assigned as a private IP address range, and this is what
your XP machine has used for its 'internal' address.  Provided you keep your linux
machine with the same x, but a different y, then you should be able to see each
machine.  This address range is safe to use on your local network.

As far as Konqueror is concerned 198.a.b.c or 192.128.d.e are foreign addresses
and so it will try to do a search (DNS) on the web (& gets side-tracked to
realnames.com).

David

ps It looks as if the XP machine is sharing all its drives (I presume you have
promiscuous XP Home installed).  Check you have a firewall to protect your
drives from other eyes.