[Nottingham] Laptop arrived - now for networking.....

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun May 16 15:12:47 BST 2004

In message <40A76AEF.17515.3DF7E98 at localhost>, David Williams
<David at rhiowgwil.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>Hi David/Derek,
>
>Before you start worrying too much, I wonder if a typo has crept in to
>cause chaos.  If you try smb://192.168.0.1, what happens?

That was what I was typing - I'd noticed your typo!

>ps It looks as if the XP machine is sharing all its drives (I presume
>you have promiscuous XP Home installed).  Check you have a firewall to
>protect your drives from other eyes.

It's running XP Pro, firewalled, and only actually sharing part of one
drive - the list of shares gave a few directories which are shared and
the printer.

I'm being provided with some Mandrake CD's later today: we'll see if a
different distro sorts things out!

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England