[Nottingham] Laptop arrived - now for networking.....

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue May 18 18:51:15 BST 2004

Right, well, thanks to Martin, I now have Mandrake 10.0.1 installed
instead of Suse.  My problems aren't over, though!

The network card now isn't working properly at all!  During the
installation, the card was correctly recognised and configured - I used
the configuration section during installation to apply a machine name
and IP address, and it seemed quite happy.

On normal boot, though, I get a line (going past very fast!):

Bringing up interface ETH0                      [FAILED]

This is the only [FAILED] in the boot sequence.  Once Linux has fully
started, the network card simply isn't listed - 'configure network'
doesn't offer ETH0 to be configured.  It's just not there!

How can I find out more, or sort this out?

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England