[Nottingham] synchronisation - Cygwin holds the key

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 19 09:00:08 BST 2004

Thought I'd drop a line to let you know that I've got a solution to this.  Turns out I'd been confusing the hell out of cygwin by having the full version and minimalist DOS rsync installed in the wrong order.  Paths all over the place!  I now have cygwin running 'clean' and a batch files running from there.  Slightly confused now as to what it's now running in, but it runs!  All that it's not doing is deleting files, but that's pretty minor (yup, I'll be checking file permisons).

Thanks to all of you that helped out on this one (particularly Roger).  I guess the moral of the story is that I should be binning bindows...

Dave

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 20:33, David Wolfson wrote:
> In an attempt to escape from the office and work from home I have set up an
> ftp site on a UNIX server at uni to act as a remote filestore. I'd like to
> get this to syncronise with a local folder on startup/shutdown on both my home
> & office machines (both windows) so that I know I'm working on the most up to
> date version of a file wherever I am. I've been able to do this in an

Sounds like you want a basic version control system.. which is probably
a good idea in any case for any serious work. Assuming you can get
through any uni firewalls there may be, in any case. CVS is not too
onerous to install and has win32 clients. Simpler solutions might
include things like rsync, if there's a win32 version somewhere.

> files using a windows version of wget, but it's "sister" program wput seems
> unable to log into our server. You will be please to hear that I have at least
> installed and tried this on the ol' linux box, but with no more sucess.  Has

Have you tried with the basic old command-line manual ftp program?

> be/how I can fix it? It connects to the server happily but fails to login,

Suspicious if wget works but wput doesn't. Are you sure it doesn't
login, or does it just not put the file? Can you show us some output?
I wonder whether maybe that version of wget uses passive mode by
default? How about wput?

[are you really expecting abuse? This is a pretty level-headed
 forum, I think; you'd probably have to exhibit some real lack of
 netiquette to attract abuse, even for something off-topic. And you
 are at least using a Linux server. Criticism is most likely for
 not using a descriptive subject line :)
]

cheers,
James