OT Re: [Nottingham] Re: Tux Games mail is still unread

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Mon May 24 23:42:57 BST 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 14:15, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004, Derek Huskisson wrote:
> > 	I thought that sending a complaint was doing something about it!
> > It's hardly British, I know, to complain but have you any other
> > suggestions on what to do.?
> >
> > I don't want to register with an organisation just to say that I don't
> > want to receive unsolicited email.
>
> They've simply put a system in place to stop getting spam. If you don't
> like it, speak to them. I can't think of anyone you could possibly
> complain to, to get them to stop it other than them selves. Certainly
> speaking to a Linux User Group wont make any difference as it's completely
> OT.
 Hi there
		It might be OT as much as beer, perl or designer tee-shirts but consider
this:
		Tux say they are getting too much spam (I've got sympathy there)

	How much is too much ? -- they don't say
	Lets say 50 a day.
	What do they do about it.
	Well they send an email to each one of the spammers saying "please register
on my Whitelist" so I can read your email.
	The spammers don't oblige -- there're not interested in Whitelists.
	Three days later Tux sends a reminder email
	The spammers don't read this email either
	Seven days later Tux sends another email with a final ultimatum " join my
whitelist or your email will be deleted"
	The spammers ignore this -- or never receive it.

	So what has happened? 50 spam emails have now become 150/200 spam emails.
	We need a few more people to be doing the same and we can really give the
email system constipation.

	Tux have got rid of their spam problem, they've just spread it around a bit.
	Good news for disc drive manufacturers and providers of internet bandwidth.
Not such good news for other people is it.?

<trawl>
		Is Bill Gates on the right track when he says people should pay for email
</trawl>

							Derek