OT Re: [Nottingham] Re: Tux Games mail is still unread

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 25 18:15:37 BST 2004

Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:36:12PM +0100, Martin wrote:
[...]
>>For a CR user, the majority of spam is thrown out.
>
> Ok, and you start sending out lots of little messages confirming your
> address to spammers.

If the source address is forged, then the penalty is that a junk message
is send to an unintended victim. Hence why only send one, and at most
two CRs.

If the source is _the_ spammer, then he gets traced and nuked.

Or you can just ignore the rest of the world.

[...]
>>If one of my friends gets hit by a virus and their address book is
>>raided, then I'll just get the spam from them or from other's forging
>                                                         others
>>that source address. Very easy to narrow down and fix.
>
> Fix how?  Do you then block all of that person's mails?

You ask them if they've been hit and mention that their address is on
the spam list.

The fix is to convert them to linux, change their email address, or run
a check to accept mail only from their usual mail relay for them.

[...]
> No, the penalty of CR is those emails you never see because people
> couldn't be bothered to jump through your hoops in order to get you to
> see their mail.

Then they aren't interested in talking to me, or they are just too
self-important to waste their time with me.

>>At the moment though, CR is an easy fix until the mail protocols get
>>tightened up or the spamster scammers get 'nailed'...
>
> I don't really see it as a fix.  It just causes more junk email traffic
> and more hassle for people who are legitimate senders of email.

Its an ugly but easy fix that works within the present protocols.

Whether or not it is hassle or even works depends on your context. If
this email address was my business address, then I'd invest in a more
thorough and more transparent system.

> Why don't content filters work for you?

When the mail filtering overhead wastes enough of my time, then I too
will move over to a CR-type system.

> Why are you special?  Why should I have to jump through hoops to send
> you mail? :)

I would hope that my friends consider me special enough to go to the
trouble of 5 mins reading of instructions and then two or three clicks
as a one-off 'whitelisting' initiation.

Depends what type of friends you chase. (:-P)

And I do consider my time to be very 'special' and not for others to
waste for their advantage or their otherwise crass negligence.

Have fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk